Do I Need A House Inspection When I Buy A Home In Calgary?
If you’re buying a house and trying to decide if you should get a house inspection I can make it really easy for you – the answer is YES. In today’s market, it’s not uncommon for people to forgo a home inspection in order to make their offer more appealing to the seller, but this is a huge gamble. When you don’t get a home inspection you’re relying on the seller to disclose everything that’s wrong with the house. This is risky because some sellers just won’t do it, while others genuinely might not know. Having an impartial expert come in and evaluate the house is the best way to get an honest, informed opinion. Home inspectors check for all sorts of things that the average homeowners might not know what to even look for. Some of these things are:
- Check all electrical outlets, switches and the fuse/breaker panel.
- Flush toilets and turn on faucets to make sure they work and to determine water pressure.
- Open and close all the windows.
- Check the floors, walls and ceilings for any defects.
- Check the basement or foundation for any water leakage.
- Inspect the heating and cooling systems.
- Check out the attic and any crawl spaces to assess insulation.
- Examine-in the closets and under the stairs.
- Inspect chimneys and flues (in some cases chimneys require an additional inspection from a specialist).
- Inspect roof and eavestroughs.
- Look around the entire exterior of the building structure looking for signs of weather damage.
- Look for any issues with exterior decks and railings.
- Inspect the foundation looking for cracks or other issues.
- Check the grading around the foundation.
There are some things though that home inspectors do not look for or are not equipped to see. Ultimately home inspectors are not magicians and they can not see through walls. They’re not able to put holes in walls or rip up floors, so in many cases, they can only give you their best guess about what lies beneath.
How long does a House Inspection Take?
When you book your house inspection plan to spend around three hours of time depending on the size of the home. Throughout that time it is a great time for you to ask questions, walk through the home and see the home with your own eyes. The most important thing I can recommend is to take the inspection report seriously. By the time the inspection happens people are often already emotionally attached to the house, and they have a tendency to brush off the results.
I have an awesome group of home inspectors I recommend to my clients that I fully trust. They are thorough, honest and reliable. If you have more questions about getting a home inspection or are needing recommendations on inspectors give me a shout!
CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA